Welcome to Check-Ins! This article will help you set up your Check-Ins account by showing you how to set up stations to check people in and create your first event. Click any of the links to go to other articles with more information. In addition to this guide, check out our Product Tour, which shows you how Check-Ins works for your church.
Once you're subscribed, you're ready to get started! Here are some quick overview videos for you to see how to set up an event with times and locations as well as stations for checking in.
Follow the steps below to create your first event and check people in.
If you're not finding the app on your device, please make sure it meets these minimum requirements:
- MacOS 10.9
- Windows 7
- IOS 9.2
- Android 4.4
When you download the desktop application, you'll need to allow third-party downloads since you're downloading it from Planning Center and not an App Store.
Once it's downloaded, log in with your Planning Center email and password.
If you haven't set up a Planning Center login, or you can't remember the password, tap Need a password? to set those up.
Editor permissions are required for someone to create a station.
Name your station based on the location or owner of the device, and then choose what type of station you'd like to have:
- A Manned Station is created for volunteers to check people in. From this station, a person can override any filters, add new people, edit people, and search by name.
- A Self Station is created for people to check in themselves or members of their household by searching by phone number or barcode.
- A Roster Station creates a list of people who have checked in to that specific location in the last three sessions. A person can search by name, phone number, or barcode, as well as add and edit people. A roster must be locked to a location.
If you type a name of a station that's already being used, you'll see an error letting you know the device and browser the station is being used.
Follow the prompts for setting up the station then set up your first event to start checking people in.
Each event can have multiple locations and multiple times. Some churches have many locations for Kid's Ministry available during the main service. In this case, your event would be called, Weekend Service with different locations for each class. If your event only has one location, the event could be the name of the event such as Choir Rehearsal or Staff Meeting.
When you open Check-Ins for the very first time, the only thing you can do is create your event. We require you to create an event first to get you started using Check-Ins right off the bat.
Add the Event Name you'd like people to see when they check in, and then choose the Frequency based on how often your event will occur.
Once you've created the event, you're ready to create times!
On your Events page, there are multiple tabs to choose from in order to manage your event. Because Times is the most important piece of your event, we take you directly to that tab when you create an event for the first time.
Choose the date of your first event then select Let's do it.
Choose the time your events starts as well as when you'd like stations to show the event.
When someone checks in, Check-Ins will choose the closest time available. However, there are a few smarter things it can do to help in those outlying situations.
- If the closest time is more than 45 minutes in the past, that station will populate the next time. If there is no next time, though, it'll choose the one in the past.
- If you arrive at the same time you did last week, and last week you checked into two future times, it'll automatically select those two times again this week.
After you've set your time, you're ready to set your event location. Choose whether you have one or multiple locations.
Name your location and view the different Location Settings.
- Choose the appropriate filters for this location. If you add an age and a grade, the system will look a the grade first before checking in the person.
- See which labels are added to this location and add more if you'd like.
- Add options such as potty trained or diaper bag to this location, and those options will be shown as check boxes when someone is checking in. If chosen, the option will print on the label for all to see.
- Check to require background checks for volunteers. When this is checked, volunteers will not be able to log in until their background check is cleared.
If you have another location to add, choose Back to Labels & Locations and add another location or a folder to house multiple locations.
Your event is created! Go to your station and start checking people in! When you check people in to your event, they'll be added to Check-Ins, but you can also add them individually or in bulk before you start checking them in.
If you want to dive in a little deeper, we have created a training video that will continually be updated. It's 30 minutes long and has chapters for you to jump around easily. It also links to all of our articles throughout the video.
Get Help & Support
If you need any help as you're getting set up, we are here to help you! The best way is by clicking the question mark in the upper right when you're logged in. When you click that, you'll see this helpful dialog box.
- Suggested articles will give suggestions based on the page you're on when you click the question mark.
- Type in what you're looking for. This will search our online manual and return articles on that topic.
- Click browse our documentation to be taken directly to our online manual. You'll be able to see all of our help articles and open them from there.
- Send an email to our Support Team. For the most efficient support, be sure to include specifics about what you're working with. This might include the event, location, person you're working with, the station name you're checking people in on, or the type of printer you're working with. The more specifics you send our way, the better we can help!