A Dymo Printer can only be used with a Windows/Mac Computer and must be plugged in using a USB cord. If you would like to print to a Dymo printer from an Android/iOS station, use the Print to Another Station feature.
Because Dymo Web Service is 32-bit software, it will only work with MacOS up to Mojave (10.14). You can use Dymo printers with MacOS Catalina if you use Universal Printing, which does not use the Dymo Web Service.
Printers and Labels
- Printers: LabelWriter 450 Turbo, LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo, or LabelWriter Wireless, which has to be USB-connected at this time.
Labels: We designed our templates to work with the Dymo 30256 Large Shipping Labels, but you can also use the following labels if you are not using Universal Printing:
- 30323 Shipping
- 30252 Address
- 30321 Large Address
- 30365 Name Badge Card
- 30258 Large Multipurpose
If you want to use the non-default sizes, you'll need to create custom labels.
- Cleaning Cards: If you're experiencing any issues with the printer such as blank labels printing or dirty labels, you'll want to clean the printer. The printer might come with a few of those, but you can buy some more at Amazon.
The Wireless Printer is only available as a USB-connected printer for Desktop at this time. To learn how to set it up, follow the steps in the Dymo Wireless User Guide.
You need internet access in order to set up the Dymo printer.
Install the software as a Windows or Mac Administrator for all users to avoid permissions issues.
1. Install the Dymo Software
Download and install the Dymo Label Software for Mac or Windows to ensure you have the latest version. Check-Ins does not work with Dymo Connect, only Dymo Label software. The last step of the install process is to plug in the Dymo printer using the USB cord provided.
Once it's installed, open Dymo Label software and select Print at the bottom right of the screen to make sure the printer is working with your computer. If it doesn't print, try restarting your computer and/or reinstalling the software from the website.
We recommend using Universal Printing , unless:
- you want to print to a Dymo Twin Turbo specific roll (right or left, instead of 'auto')
- you want to print using one of the additional label sizes we support
To print using Legacy Printing, you'll need to do a complete install of the Dymo Label software which includes the Dymo Web Service. The Dymo Web Service is the printing widget Check-Ins will use to print to Dymo. You'll see the Dymo Web Service printing widget in your toolbar or System tray.
If you don't see the Dymo Web Service, the installation of the printing widget may have been blocked and you'll need to uninstall and reinstall the Dymo Label software again.
To test legacy printing:
- Open your station.
- Go to the Window > Printer Check page and verify everything is green on that page.
If it's all green, you're ready to start printing! If not, check out the Troubleshooting section below.
If you have enabled Universal Printing, you will use the Check-Ins Printing App to print to the Dymo printer. The Check-Ins Printing App can be found in the System Tray. This must be running and not blocked for Check-Ins to print to the Dymo printer.
To make sure your printer is working correctly, send a test print to the printer.
- From the Check-Ins app menu, go to Window > Printer Check.
- Click Send Test Print.
- If you're using custom labels, click Test Custom Labels, and then click Send Test Print on the next page.
- The label will print.
If the printer isn't working properly, go through a Clean Install, or choose an issue and follow the steps to fix it.
Before you try the other steps, verify you are using the Windows/Mac Check-Ins App instead of using a browser station.
We created the Windows/Mac app to avoid issues with browser updates blocking communication between Check-Ins and the Dymo Web Service.
When you install the app, it creates a new Check-Ins Station, so you may need to update station templates that pointed to your old browser station.
- Unplug the printer from the computer.
- Uninstall the current version of the Dymo software as an Administrator on the computer:
- Windows: Programs > Uninstall Programs AND delete the printer from the Devices & Printers page
- Mac: Delete from the Applications folder, empty Trash, AND delete the printer from Printers & Scanners page
- Complete any pending computer updates.
- Reboot the computer.
- Install the latest version of the Dymo software for all user profiles. You will be prompted on the final step to plug in the computer.
Select "complete install" for the Dymo Web Service to be installed to print.
- Reboot the computer.
- Open the Dymo Label Software
- Make sure the System Tray/Toolbar shows the Dymo logo, which ensures the Dymo Web Service has started.
- Launch the Check-Ins App.
- Check in someone who should print a label.
Rebooting your computer both times is the key, so please do not skip those steps.
- Unplug the power cord from the printer.
- After 10 seconds, plug it back in and make sure the connection is secure. If it feels loose, that could cause connection problems and you might need a new printer/usb-c.
Go to Devices and Printers in the Control Panel (Windows) or System Preferences (Mac). Make sure there is only one instance of the Dymo printer installed, and that it's set to be your default printer.
If you have multiple Dymo printers installed, you will need to move the inactive one. To figure out which one that is:
- Unplug your Dymo printer from the computer.
- Right click the one that did not become greyed out when you unplugged the printer.
- Select Remove Device (Windows) or click the minus button (-) on the bottom right (Mac).
You will need to make sure you're using the right Dymo Drivers. To find out what version of the Dymo Software you have follow these steps:
- Open the Dymo Software.
- Windows: Select Help in your toolbar, then select About Dymo
Mac: Select DYMO Label in your toolbar and then About Dymo
You will want to have Dymo 8.5.3 or higher.
- Completely uninstall the version you currently have installed.
- Restart your computer.
- Download and Install the latest version.
- Restart your computer.
Restarting your computer both times is the key, so please do not skip those steps.